A Christian Response to our Culture
While the world we live in is ever-changing, God's Word remains the same yesterday, today, and forever. With this in mind, we seek to not only understand God's Word richly and personally, but we also seek to apply God's Word to how we understand our communities, culture, and world.
Below are a collection of books, podcasts, articles, and other resources that we hope will build your faith and help us to see the goodness of the Lord in genuine ways together.
- Introducing Worldview (Summit Ministries -- Ben Keiser)
- What the Bible Teaches about Ethnic Harmony (Midwestern Journal -- Andy Naselli)
- Intersectionality and the Church (Tabletalk -- Rosaria Butterfield)
- Critical Race Theory, Part Two (Desiring God -- John Piper)
- Critical Theory and Christianity (Free-Thinking Ministries -- Shenvi & Sawyer)
- This article introduces the discipline of “critical race theory” (CRT) and how it informs so much of our culture’s views on identity, race, sexuality, etc.
- Is Critical Race Theory Christian? (Owen Strachan)
- This four part series provides a more detailed treatment and critique of critical race theory.
Mission of the Church
- What is the Mission of the Church? (Kevin DeYoung & Greg Gilbert)
- This book provides clarity on how the church is to view its mission in the world.
- Love in Hard Places by D.A. Carson
- On Being Black and Reformed (Tony Carter)
- Bloodlines: Race, Cross, and the Christian (John Piper)
- Every People and Nation: A Biblical Theology of Race (J. Daniel Hays)
- The Problem With Ending Racism (Greg Morse)
- The Doctrines of Race: A Call to Make Christ Central (David Mathis)
- Evangelicals and Race Theory (Carl R. Trueman)
Discernment for our Current Moment
- Division, Whataboutism, & Christian Nationalism (Kevin DeYoung, Justin Taylor, Colin Hansen)
- A Compassionate, Counter-Cultural, Christian Response (Kevin Huang)
- George Floyd and the Gospel (Just Thinking podcast)
- Notes from the Revolution (Reformation 21 Site -- Brad Green)
- Ethnic Gnosticism (Voddie Baucham)
- Faithfulness in a Fractured World Sermon Series (C.J. Mahaney)
- Seeing the World in Black and White (Desiring God -- Greg Morse)
- Not White Fragility -- Mutual Responsibility (TGC -- George Yancey)
- Life Together in the Church (The Gospel Coalition -- Kevin DeYoung)
- Practice Hospitality, Especially during COVID-19 (Crossway – Rosaria Butterfield)
- Black Lives Matter? (Just Thinking podcast)
- Thinking Theologically About Racial Tensions: Sin and Guilt (The Gospel Coalition – Kevin DeYoung)
- Christianity & Wokeness (Owen Strachan)