Deacons: Vital Gifts of God Quotes
This past Sunday, Walt preached from 1 Timothy 3:8-13 on the gift that deacons are to the church. You can listen to that message here. Here are the quotes that Walt used:
- “[Deacons] release the elders to devote themselves to spiritual leadership by serving in physical and financial matters in a way that brings unity among the church under the authority of the elders (Acts 6:1-6). In our church, we create deacon positions according to the practical needs of the body. So we currently have a deacon for each of the following areas: budget, bookstall and library, sound, child care, children’s ministry, ordinances, member care, hospitality, ushers, weddings, community outreach, and audio duplication. Whenever a need arises that seems to require special attention, we feel the freedom to create a deacon position and look for a member whose current service and character are particularly suited to the task. Conversely, whenever a deacon position seems to outlive its usefulness, we feel free to discontinue the position as a way of conserving the energy of the body and pruning the ministry branches that are either no longer needed or are no longer bearing fruit.” -- Mark Dever, The Deliberate Church
- “Without such things, we don’t function. Without such things, we don’t meet. Without such things, our corporate life is fragmented, unorganized, and chaotic. Without such things, many needs don’t get met at all. And without such things—this is most important—our life and our witness for Christ will be hindered.” -- Jeff Purswell
- Acts 6:7—"And the word of God continued to increase, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith."
- “The reversal of all human ideas of greatness and rank was achieved when Jesus came, not to be served, but to serve.” -- William Lane
- Mark 10:45—"For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."