Video from Bill 4.8.20
An excerpt from Pleasures of God by John Piper
Prayer for a God Who Effectively Saves
Paul leaves no doubt where he stands on that issue in Romans 9:16, "It depends not upon man's will or exertion, but upon God's mercy" (RSV). So he prays that God would convert Israel! He prays for her salvation! He does not pray for ineffectual influences, but for effectual influences. And that is how we should pray too. We should take the new covenant promises of God and plead with God to bring them to pass in our children and our neighbors and on all the mission fields of the world.
- God, take out of their flesh the heart of stone and give them a new heart of flesh (Ezek. 11:19).
- Lord, circumcise their heart so that they love you (Deut. 30:6).
- Father, put your Spirit within them and cause them to walk in your statues (Ezek.36:27).
- Lord, grant them repentance and a knowledge of the truth that they may escape from the snare of the Devil (2 Tim. 2:25-26).
- Father, open their hearts so that they believe the gospel (Acts 16:14).
When we believe in the sovereignty of God - in the right and power of God to elect and then bring hardened sinners to faith and salvation- then we will be able to pray with no inconsistency, and with great biblical promises for the conversion of the lost. Thus God has pleasure in this kind of praying because it ascribes to him the right and honor to be the free and sovereign God that he is in election and salvation.
b]"> Pleasures of God by John Piper can be purchased here.